"Investigators blame hay for barn fire "
Eagle Staff Report
Grimes County fire investigators Saturday blamed a hay barn fire on spontaneous combustion.
About 800 bales of hay were being stored in a barn the size of a football field off F.M. 244 on County Road 121 near Iola.
The fire started just before 8 p.m. Friday, and volunteer firefighters from Iola and Bedias opted to let the structure burn rather than try to extinguish the blaze.
"Our goal was to keep it contained. It would've been almost impossible to put out," said Nick Harmon, Iola volunteer fire chief. "There wasn't enough water in Grimes County to take care of it."
It took about 2 hours for the fire to burn itself out. The loss was estimated at $150,000.
Investigators said they suspect the fire was ignited by the combustion of green hay.