Friday, February 13, 2009

Ears Times Three

This morning we took a family trip to the ENT which lasted about two hours. First he saw the boys and they both still have fluid built up and are scheduled to have ear tubes placed a week from next Wednesday. Since they will already be sedated, Andrew will also have a skin biopsy done on his foot at the same time. He has a suspicious mole that is getting bigger (mainly due to his feet growing) but because of my melanoma history we aren't taking any chances.

Then he sent me for a one of those ear drum tests and my right ear drum is not vibrating and still infected. So they deadened my ear and then cut my ear drum open and used a vacuum to try and get the fluid out. He said my ear drum was very angry and had so much fluid that they couldn't get the rest of the fluid out without damaging my ear drum so I have to go back and have it done again next week. If it's still not any better then I'll be getting ear tubes too. Isn't that crazy? To go my whole life without ear trouble and then to get my first ear tubes at age 30, that's so strange. But hopefully it will clear up before we have to do that.

So then he gave me a steroid shot and new ear drops. The procedure itself didn't hurt because I was numbed up good but now I'm feeling really sick to my stomach and I think I'm more deaf and uncomfortable than I was before. I was really expecting this to give me some relief but I haven't gotten it yet. I'm not sure why I'm so nauseated, maybe due to the equilibrium issues?

I asked him why this would happen and he said probably partly due to the altitude but mainly he thinks I'm just very unlucky and that was about all the explanation he could give me. Yay me ;-)!!!

9 comments:

Kierstyn said...

Oh no! I feel so bad for you! What can I do? Food? Babysitting? Run an errand for you? Just let me know! We have a very calm weekend ahead.

And I'm so glad the boys are getting tubes in! It made a world of difference for both my boys. Plus, it's nice not having to take them in to the doctor all the time.

Praying for you!

Allison said...

Ick! If you don't feel like going to dinner tonight we'll understand. Deaf, loopy, and throwing up at the restaurant Lindsey is not something we want to see! :)

Christi said...

Weird! I can't believe that you might get tubes! I'm sorry you aren't feeling relief yet, hopefully soon. And ditto what Kierstyn said, please let us know what we can do for you!

And tubes were great for both my kiddos. It stopped most of the ear infections and less antibiotics.

Praying for all of you!

Beth said...

Oh Lindsey! the saga just continues. I'm so sorry. I'm praying the meds will give you some relief and healing. We're all better now so call me if I can help you.

Whitney said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Lynn said...

Oh I hope the meds work! You getting tubes, too would be crazy!
Still here praying as always!
1 Corinthians 15:55-57 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Perri said...

Lindsey, Praying you get some relief soon. You must be miserable.

Life in the Kerlee Household said...

Wow...that's all I can say. Jaymin just got his tubes put in about 2-3 weeks ago. The surgery itself is very quick but they intubated him which I wasn't too keen for. I've heard not all places do this but he did well other than a sore mouth for a few days.

As for you, I can't believe what you are going through. The week of Xmas I got an ear infection myself. People asked the same things like "I didn't know adults got ear infections, isn't that weird and unusual?" All I could say is that I have had them in the past but very few and they usually went away with meds. This lastone was odd, too. I had no cold, sorethroat, just really bad ear pain and pressure and my ears would not pop. I was actually in tears it hurt so bad.

I wish you the best! I hope the subsides and no need for tubes for you! Best of luck.

Mrs. Dwiggins said...

Happy Valentine's Day!