You may not know that because of the March of Dimes:
- We have the Apgar Score, which is a standard tool to evaluate the health of every single newborn baby
- Our children no longer suffer from Polio which was erradicated by vaccines created by MOD research
- MOD funded the first successful bone marrow transplant to correct a birth defect
- It was discovered that alcohol consumption during pregnancy causes birth defects
- There are newborn intensive care units to save sick babies
- A newborn screening test was created for biotinidase deficiency, which can cause mental retardation and death unless treated promptly
- A grantee performed the first life saving in utero surgery to repair a diaphragmatic hernia in an unborn baby
- A nationwide campaign was launched urging women to take the B vitamin folic acid to help prevent neural tube birth defects
- The Mothers' and Newborns' Health Protection Act was passed, guaranteeing a minimum hospital stay of 48 hours following delivery
- It is now possible to perform surgeries to treat spina bifida before birth
- The promotion of folic acid fortification and awareness contributed to a 21 percent decline in the occurrence of neural tube birth defects between 1995 - 2000
- There is a great increase in newborn screening. Nearly 90 percent of all babies born in the U.S. – more than double the percentage in 2005 – live in states that require screening for at least 21 of 29 life-threatening but treatable disorders
These are just a few of the things the March of Dimes has done over the last 50 Years. Because of your help, it's amazing to think of what the next 50 years will bring for the health of our children!!
And they are definitely worth it!!