Sunday, April 05, 2009

"Very Likely"

I've already mentioned my history with melanoma in the past. You can read about it here. Tomorrow I will head to Houston for my check up with the dermatologist. When you have young children, especially one's with frequent medical/therapy appt's, it's easy to put your own medical needs on the back burner, which I'm guilty of right now. I'm supposed to go see my dermatologist every three months but due to a series of events, I just realized that it's been nearly 11 months. I get so focused on the kids and getting them every where they are supposed to be that it seems awfully inconvenient to take an entire day to go see my doctor when I feel "fine".

But that's the dangerous thing about melanoma, I can never get too comfortable or let my guard down for too long because that's the key to my survival, catching it early. So far I've had it three times and mercifully, we've always caught it early.

It's funny because it seems all signs have been pointing to getting this check up lately: Both my mom & sister in law asked me when the last time I went was, there are people on blogs I follow that are either facing stage IV melanoma or are close to someone who is, one of the main character's on a show we watch was recently diagnosed with stage IV melanoma, and to top it off MD Anderson called me this week and asked me to participate in a research study of young mothers that have had melanoma.

I'm guessing this is God hinting that I need to not neglect my own medical care, by going I'm being a good mother by staying healthy so I can be here for my children. Fortunately my doctor was able to work me in immediately. I have no reason to think tomorrow's appt will be anything other than fine but it's something I need to do.

The thing that really got my attention was that one of the survey questions in the research study was "How Likely was it that I would get melanoma again" and my answer was the highest: "Very Likely", that sent chills through me as I watched Adam & Andrew playing happily in the other room.

So please take my advice, if you are a parent of little ones don't forget to get regular check ups and follow up on existing medical issues. I know life is busy and you wake up one day and it's been a whole year since you've been "meaning to" do something. Today, just stop what you are doing and actually do it. Your babies need you to be around for a long time!

Adam says "I wanna drive in dee boat"






3 comments:

Carey said...

Praying for you.

Grammy Jane said...

Praying for your safe trip and good test results today. I'm enjoying all your pictures! What cuties!!

Beth said...

This post is such an encouragement to me. I often feel guilty for taking the time and using the money to deal with my medical issues. I know it makes me a better mother and wife if I do take care of myself but it seems like there are just not enough days in the month sometimes! I'm so glad you were able to go to Houston. Thanks again for the encouragement!