Saturday, September 12, 2009

New Orleans Part Three

On our final full day in New Orleans we went to the zoo, visited the historic City Park including Storyland, spontaneously visited the family crypt and then spent more time with our family there.

If you can't tell from Kenny's face, he was not too thrilled with the french bakery we went to for breakfast. It was a bit of a disaster trying to find it because after walking over half a mile we learned it had relocated so we had to walk all the way back to our hotel and get our car and drive to a sketchy part of town and then it wasn't really everything we'd heard it would be. Someday we'll be laughing ;-)!


On our way to the park we Peepaw happened to notice that we passed the cemetary where Kenny's Grandpa & Great Grandparents were buried so we decided to check it out. We found the family crypt and it's fascinating to me how the dead are buried there. There are two shelves inside this thing where they keep the most recent caskets and then there is a pit below it. When the next person dies, they dump the bones in the pit and then burn the old casket. Creepy right?? Well there are 27 people buried in this crypt but not all the names are listed. Apparently they keep records on who all was dumped, I mean buried in there. Not all the records had been transferred to the computer system and when Katrina hit they lost the old paper records. So only 17 names were in the system and now the other 10 people will be forever a mystery!


Andrew's namesake is his Great-Great Grandpa





Time for the Zoo!!




This creepy Gorilla had his eyes locked on Adam and wouldn't divert her gaze. It made me a bit nervous!





Storyland is a neat place in the City Park where they've turned children's stories into a playground, the boys had a blast!






Kenny's Grandpa served on the New Orleans Fire Dept so it was neat to see this old firetruck





Gammaw & Peepaw relax while we take the kids on the train



Wonderful family memories we won't forget!

7 comments:

Lynn said...

You guys always have so much fun!
Continuing to lift up prayers!
Isaiah 55:6-7 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Ashley said...

The twins are growing up to fast! Looks like you all had a wonderful time! Have a great week!

Lynn said...

Praying!
Isaiah 55:8-9 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Phyllis said...

What fun!!! Are you all going to the game this weekend? It is Ashley's 5 year reunion and we are coming and thought maybe we might could meet up and say "Hi". Would love to finally meet those precious ones!!! Just let us know.
Phyllis

Lynn said...

Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
Isaiah 43:1-3a But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour...
Prayer Bears
My email address

Lynn said...

Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
Isaiah 43:1-3a But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour...
Prayer Bears
My email address

Lynn said...

Somehow I got the wrong verse...this is tonights:
Lifting up prayers right now!
Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
Prayer Bears
My email address