Thursday, September 17, 2009

Things They Say

Things I want to remember them saying:
  • Right now I'm listening to Adam sing over the baby monitor that he's gonna make a crane and it goes up up up up up and doooooooooooooown
  • "It's stuck on there": this means the door is locked
  • "It'll bite you", everything from a rabbit to a dinosaur to the electrical outlet
  • "What is that?": pointing at every person we see, really means Who is that?
  • "I'm gonna need more cake/candy/etc!": Adam says this after desserts and it cracks me up that he's gonna need more
  • "I wanna do spirit": this means sing the fruits of the spirit, aren't they so spiritual already ;-)
  • "I want Aggies": means they want to hear/sing the Aggie war hymn on Granny's iphone
  • "Wanna sing Bum Bum": this means they want to hear Rhianna's Disturbia, its a one of their favorites
  • "Daddy lays down his life"; there is a song on one of their cd's about Jesus Christ "That He" lays down his life for his friends, they think it's saying "Daddy" lays down his life. I've tried to explain it but they insist, "NO Daddy lays down!"
  • "Lady Bug Bite You!!" Adam got stung by a scorpion in his bed, it was really sad, but he didn't know at the time what a scorpion was so he called it a lady bug. poor child will be scared of gentle lady bugs for life now!
  • "Mama Lay Down!!! SNUGGLE!" This is an order for me to get back in my bed and let them snuggle with me. It's very tempting to do when it's really early and we need to be somewhere.
  • Now I can hear Adam saying "Get on the big boat Daddy!!" He's supposed to be taking a nap. "Hold on tight!"

And now for a really embarrassing moment.

My kids are fascinated with body parts right now and with who has what. Their Peepaw is a pediatrician and he told me to teach them the correct names for things but I wish I hadn't listened to him ;-). In Kindermusik recently Andrew ran around the classroom screaming "____ (a female family member) has a PE.NI$, _____ has a PE.NI$!!" The other moms looked at me like he was screaming the F word, I was mortified. Then to top it off Adam says "No A-new, ____ have Lady Parts!" I'm glad I didn't teach them all the correct words, no more anatomy lessons for now!

(intentionally mispelled that word to prevent this blog entry from turning up in a search for who knows what)

9 comments:

Grammy Jane said...

Thanks for sharing. Oh, how funny! In thirty plus years you'll still be laughing at these. I can remember things my grown children said when they were this age and I still just crack up.

DJones said...

Wish we had written down some of the things our kiddos had said that made us laugh so much. Fun stuff! And too too funny about the anatomy. We pretty much stick to calling them "girl parts" and "boy parts" and leaving it at that. (probably for our benefit; so we don't have one of "those" situations:) )

Christi said...

Oh that made me laugh...so cute! And it makes me thankful that we go with "girl parts" and "boy parts". :-) But I'm sorry to hear about the scorpion/lady bug...that's sad, poor guy!

skinny minny said...

it is best to teach correct terms we adults in general are uncomfortable wit hthe correct terms but why I don't know. and honestly it is JUST a body part nothing dirty about it at all. and some of the girl parts aternative names are far worse to me.

Lynn said...

We've been trying to get James, our 19 month old, singing "Twinkle, twinkle little star." In church last Sunday, after the first hymn, my husband didn't some out right away to start the liturgy and you could hear this sweet little voice start in with "tinkle, tinkle, little star..." Twice!
Praying hard right now!
Psalms 116:6-9 The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me. Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee. For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling. I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Kierstyn said...

We do the "correct" names for boy parts too. Someone once told me to not use a silly name for a serious body part. Plus we dont' run around calling our nose a Honker. :-) And yeah, I've been in a similar situation with the whole body part thing. Nothing quite that public though.....

Lynn said...

Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
Romans 8:26-28 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Whitney said...

We also taught the kids the correct words but luckily the boys call it a peanut!

Lynn said...

These verses are so comforting. Continuing to pray!!!!!!!!!
Revelation 21:1-4 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Prayer Bears
My email address