Saturday, November 21, 2009

Gig'em Andrew (and Aggies)

So Andrew had a cat scan Friday morning of his head/neck, ordered by his ENT. A little over three weeks ago the boys went in for their 6 month ear tube check up. At the time Andrew had a cough and running nose and some enlarged lymph nodes. The ent put him on a round of antibiotics and then wanted to see us back after a few weeks.

After antibiotics his lymph nodes were still noticeably enlarged, but in pediatrics this isn't always out of the ordinary. But that combined with potential sleep apnea, allergies, sinus issues, he decided to order the cat scan to get a better look at his airway and sinus cavities in addition to ordering just about every blood test out there for allergies and everything else. The doctor was very serious that they draw the blood while he was under sedation to make this as easy on Andrew as possible.

Andrew has always coughed at night when he's lying down and when he has a minor cold he gets this terrible croupy spasmy cough where he coughs so hard he throws up. Plus he always looks like he hasn't slept in days with big bags under his swollen eyes even though he gets 12 hrs a night. And lately he's been especially grumpy, thought I'm not totally convinced that's not just his age.

So anyway hopefully we'll get some useful info to help him to feel better but not something serious like lymphoma or something scary like that (very unlikely).

I got to hold him while they gave him the gas to start the sedation for the test since there was no way he would be still for the procedure. He has never had trouble coming out of anesthesia before but this time was pretty rough. He was psychotic when he came out of it, kicking and screaming. He was ripping all the leads and bandages off and writhing around. Not fun, that was the hardest thing for me.

(He was also retracting hard and making this whistling sound when he would breathe and the anesthesiologst thinks perhaps he has an obstruction in his larynx or trachea. So hopefully the ent will be able to check that out on the scan.)

I finally calmed him down and got him to drink some juice when the worst thing happened. Two ladies in white lab coats came in and said they had to draw additional blood because someone didn't count all the blood tests correctly. Like I said, this was supposed to be done while he was out but someone screwed up big time.

Andrew lost it, he would not let us even touch his arm or sit him on the bed. It took 4 people to hold him down so they could get the blood. He was screaming in very complete sentences "I don't like you! I don't want you touch my arm! I don't like this! No touch me! Let go Let go a me!" I've never heard him talk quite like that before but it was just heart breaking!

I gave them all a piece of my mind for that. He's going to be traumatized for sure and I pity the next nurse or doctor that tries to lay a hand on him. The only thing that finally calmed him down again was chocolate. A boy after my own heart!

They said it would be two weeks before we know anything on the blood work and we have an appt with the ENT to go over the cat scan so I'll keep you posted once we know something.

Thanks for your prayers!!

And don't forget to enter our giveaway, down below I'm going to leave it open a while longer.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Seeing your child have to be held down and not able to do anything...oh it's so very hard! Glad it's over! Hope you get some good news and some easy fixes!
Stopping by to let you know I'm still here, still praying!
II Corinthians 12:8-10 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Emma, Georgia, Erica & Daniel said...

Oh, poor baby..I am so sorry that was so hard for him and you! We will keep him and your family in prayers over the coming weeks! Hope you have a happy thanksgiving!

Rachel said...

Oh girl, I feel for you...we had a similar experience with Samuel early one when he had to get tons of bloodwork several times. I think it took 6 people to hold him down and it was very traumatic for all of us!!! The good news is, he will get over it eventually. Samuel got blood work last week when he had pneumonia and was a little scared, but didn't even blink when they took his blood. I hope y'all figure out what's going on after the CAT scan!