Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rodeo Day and Andrew's Botox Update

This past Wednesday I went with the girls to the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo to see Racal Flatts. We had so much fun checking everything out and enjoyed trying out all the crazy rodeo foods including Tornado Potato Fries with Chili & Cheese, The best Funnel Cake EVER, Fried Smores and Fried Oreos. Don't worry we shared all those things but still it's no wonder none of my clothes fit anymore!

To commemorate the occasion we all got tattoos.


Henna Tattoos that is.

You can't tell in this picture but I do have on Cowboy Boots too

It was Armed Services Day and 4 guys propelled the American Flag down from the rafters. It was really awesome!




Fireworks to Kick Off the Concert

The kids also had a rodeo day at school this week and Adam wore Wranglers, Boots, the shirt I made him and then I got him his own Cowboy Hat

He's SO cute!

Sadly Andrew had to miss out on the Cowboy fun at school. We spent the day at Texas Children's getting the third round of Botox injections in his left leg. My poor baby is so brave and tough but it was absolutely awful. Three people had to hold him face down so they could inject the back of his leg. I crouched down by his face and held his hands and told him how much I loved him and how sorry I was.

He screamed "Don't hurt me, Don't hurt me!" and "I be good", it was heart wrenching and we both had big tears in our eyes by the time it was over. It make me SO sad that he thinks he's being punished. I tried to explain it to him but three year olds can't really grasp "long term benefits". Hopefully he'll forget this or at least understand someday that I only wanted the very best for him. As awful as it is now, the thought of him asking me someday why I didn't do everything I possibly could have to help him, would be much more awful than this and that's what I focus on so that down the road when Andrew is grown we won't have any regrets because we didn't let the present pain cloud our judgement for long term good.

We go back in a week to start the serial casting process. He will be in casts for 6 weeks. The doctor has prescribed Valium for Andrew to take at night during this time because the casts will be painful and it may be hard for him to sleep. Now he wakes up screaming in pain every few nights due to his night splint but we can just take that off and we won't be able to with the cast. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to keep him out of the sand pit at school or how he'll be bathed yet but hopefully this will really help him.

I do find it comforting in all of this to think that what I'm experiencing as Andrew's Mama is just a glimpse into how God probably often feels with us, His children. How many times have I cried out some version of "Don't hurt me!" to God myself.

There are so many times when we suffer and have pain and don't understand how there could possibly be good in the situation but I remember that God sees the big picture, the long term outlook and we are just like Andrew, a young child who can only see the pain of here and now instead of the WORK of God that he's administering in our lives for our better good.

Next time you wonder what in the world God could possibly be doing for good in the suffering you experience, think about Andrew and that there is a reason and just like it pains me to see my child suffer I'm sure God feels the same way but He knows its for our good, just like I know this is for Andrew's good.

Does that make any sense at all?

I look forward to that day on the other side when the big picture will be revealed at last, for Andrew as well as the rest of us.

7 comments:

Kierstyn said...

Our good, His glory. You're an awesome momma!! Thank you for loving your children so well, and for being an encouragement to me.

Lynn said...

How much longer will he have to have the injections? I seriously doubt if he's going to remember this at all! how much do you remember from when you were 3?
Continuing to lift up prayers!
Psalm 31:5-8: Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth...but I trust in the LORD. I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities; And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Grammy Jane said...

I always enjoy your pictures and often see members of my family, too. I am so inspired by your blogs. Thank you for sharing your heartfelt emotions. They really make me think. Love on those little ones. They are just precious and they'll be grown before you know it.

Adam and Andrew said...

Lynn,
This will probably be something he has to endure for many more years unfortunately because as he grows the problem will get worse. So even if he doesn't remember now, eventually he probably will. Crazy thing about my early childhood is that I only remember the traumatic things and I worry about that for him. I had a big kidney surgery when I was his age and I remember every frightening detail.

Every time we get in the car to go somewhere now he says "Where are we going? We NOT gonna get shots Mama!"

Lynn said...

Praying!
Psalm 31:9-10, 14-15a Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly. For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed...But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God. My times are in thy hand:
Prayer Bears
My email address

Carter and Addy's Mommy said...

That makes a lot of sense and I love your analogy. I had tears in my eyes because it hit so close to home with our situation too. You are very strong and I think you are making great decisions regarding Andrew's treatments, doing everything you can to help him.

May God heal little Andrew and comfort him, and ease the pain.

Nan said...

It makes perfect beautiful sense. Thank you for sharing this.