Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Rib Crackin' Good time!

So in the middle of the night, Sunday night I walked across our bathroom floor in the dark. We have very pretty and very slippery tumbled marble tile floors and since moments before I had been fast asleep and was not exactly thinking straight I happened to be wearing some of those darn fuzzy socks. Socks that I'm sure nearly every woman has received in her stocking at one time or another, sort of like these:

I'm super hot natured and I rarely ever wear socks anyway, especially to bed but for whatever reason I had some on Sunday night. Anyways as I was crossing the bathroom headed back to my bed, I slipped and my feet shot straight out from under me and I landed smack on the lower right side of my back. I was so stunned that I couldn't even move at first and so I screamed until Kenny woke up and help carry me back to bed.

The next morning I was sore but nothing too bad, but by the end of the day I could barely move. Kenny was out of town working by that point and so I was glad my cousin Katie was able to watch the boys and get them ready for bed because all I wanted to do was lay on the floor on top of a frozen bathtowel (thanks mom for the tip).

The next morning I had to take Andrew to a drs appt at TCH in Houston (more on that in another post) and I also had friends riding down with me so we could all visit Rebecca & Connor since they were also there because of Connor's surgery. I thought a lot about canceling but it would take forever to get rescheduled with Andrew's doctor and I felt better after a hot shower.

Anyways, the girls went and picked up lunch for Rebecca while I took Andrew to his appt and as the day wore on I was just feeling worse and not better.

Once we made it back home I left the boys with my sister and headed straight to urgent care. I was telling the doctor about my fall and thought maybe I had bruised my muscle when he stopped me and said "You fractured your rib". What???? Never in a million years was I expecting that. "I can hear it crunching when I touch it." Yummy! Because it was so obvious to diagnose since none of my other ribs "crunched" when he touched them, and the treatment is pretty standard I was able to avoid getting an unnecessary xray and saved some $$ too.

Kenny was still out of town and had a meeting in Louisiana the next morning so thank goodness I have awesome family nearby so my mom took the boys and I in and then Katie helped watch them during the day until Kenny got home yesterday.

So all that to say, be super careful if you wear those darn fuzzy socks!! Sock makers need to put those grippy thingies on the bottom of them like they do on the kiddy socks!!

Fortunately I'm finally starting to feel better pain wise, except that now I seem to be getting a cough and every time I cough I can literally feel my rib "crunching". And for some reason kids just don't seem to get that you shouldn't dive bomb your mama when she's lying in the bed trying to regrow her rib bones ;-). "You have a bad booboo Mama? Let me give you a super tight squeeze hug to make you feel ALL better!!" Seriously sweet but OUCH!

It's been quite a week around here!

2 comments:

Carey said...

Ouch! I hope you get to feeling better real soon.

Laura said...

yikes, glad you are starting to feel better!