Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Beaver Creek Rodeo

One of our favorite things to do in CO during the summer is to attend the Beaver Creek Rodeo. It's nothing like our big Houston rodeo but it's quaint and up close and just such a fun event.

The boys were so excited to dress up like Cowboys



Aren't they so handsome?? Reminds me of one of my favorite movies, 8 Seconds



Andrew has the skinny cowboy swagger down



I was so proud of how Andrew hopped right up on this big horse without any hesitation and a big smile on his face. He's come so far this year!




Ignore that sign there and take a look at that cute little cowboy

I loved their little wrangler tushies


Notice the giant storm approaching in this photo

I love my boys!


Our niece Lauren participated in the Calf Scramble





Just about to get poured on


Right after the above picture, there was a huge downpour so we ran for the car to see if it would blow over. Adam wanted to participate in the Mutton Bustin competition and we had already signed him up and paid our non refundable entry fee. The competition went on in the midst of the downpour and Adam said he still wanted to do it.

So we trudged through the mud & muck to make it in time for his slot. I think he really had no clue what this even was about. He just kept saying he wanted to ride his sheep. But I think he was picturing a saddle and a leader just like the horse rides, poor thing was so excited but he really had no idea.

It was cold and muddy but he said he was ready

Cousin Luke was up before Adam


But things started to go down hill fast when they brought this filthy wet muddy helmet and slapped it on my neat freak son, the one that is constantly having you clean his hands after getting even the slightest bit of food or paint, etc on him.

I wasn't thrilled either because he was already freezing and there were other clean helmets they could have chosen.

Waiting for his turn he saw a sheep bust out of the stall and toss it's rider right into a mud/poop pile

So no surprise to me, he quickly changed his mind when they were ready to sit him on that stinky wet sheep

See how filthy he is? That's all from the helmet! Ick! I didn't blame him.

So Adam's rodeo career pretty much stalled before it even got off the ground ;-)

Maybe next year if the weather is better!

But Andrew took on the biggest meanest bull of all:

Haha, not really he just busted his nose the night before and somehow with the rain or something it started bleeding again. Looks like he got in a bar fight!

In spite of the nasty weather, we still had a great time!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Andrew broke his nose?!!!!!!! Poor little man! I just get tears in my eyes seeing everything your kids are doing. The Lord is so good!!!!!!!
Praying!
Psalm 31:9-10, 14-15a Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly. For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed...But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God. My times are in thy hand:
Prayer Bears
My email address

Carey said...

How fun! Love the one of Andrew sitting on the picnic table. You have two of the cutest cowboys ever.