Thursday, March 10, 2011

Outraged! Please help!

I learned today that an affordable, safe, and lifesaving treatment for preterm labor called 17P has been monopolized by a pharmaceutical company (KV/Ther-RX under the drug name Makena) and will result in an price increase 150 x's the current price.


In other words, what is currently costing patients $200 for an entire pregnancy's worth of drugs will now cost the $30,000!!!


The drug company claims they will not deny coverage to those who cannot financially afford it but when you read the strict restrictions on who would qualify, it's clear that next to no one will qualify under those terms.


In the past this drug has been produced by various compounding pharmacies and the argument by the Drug company is that it will now be safer and more consistent since there will be only one manufacturer. Don't buy into that because I haven't heard one doctor or patient anywhere have a single complaint about the quality of what they were receiving. Also, this argument is weak because nearly EVERY SINGLE medication given to my tiny babies in the NICU was made in the same manner by a compounding pharmacy so someone please explain to me why that was okay but this is not.


I find it very unlikely that private insurance or state medicaid are going to be able pay for this and the result will be that many many women will go without and more babies will be born early and many will not survive. 


One doctor I know said 90% of his patients that need 17P, will not be able to get it now.


How can you help?


Firstly, contact KV Pharmaceutical and voice your displeasure:

KV Pharmaceuticals Contact Information: investorrelations@kvpharmaceutical.com 

Second, notify your local media outlets about this issue.

Third, write or email your congressman and senator:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Fourth, contact the FDA and find out why they elected to give KV exclusivity for this product. Competition will bring down the price dramatically.

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/ContactFDA/default.htm

Fifth, write to the president:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact



Sixth, contact your state Medicaid offices and your insurance carriers. Get them involved

Seventh, get as many of your friends, family members, co-workers, etc. as possible to do the above. 

Eighth, feel free to cut/paste/email the above to as many contacts as you can. 



Let's make this issue go viral!

5 comments:

lmworley416 said...

I don't even have words...
No matter what happens in life, the Lord has us wrapped up in His loving care. Praying!
Psalms 91:4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
Prayer Bears
My email address

Allison said...

that makes me sick! From $200 to 30K is greedy and irresponsible!

Carter and Addy's Mommy said...

I called my insurance company to ask if Makena is covered, they told me yes! They said my copay would be 30 dollars per month. They said without coverage, it would be around 7600 per month.

so, as of now, my insurance covers the new 17P / Makena shots. My fear, is they will drop coverage during a pregnancy and I wouldn't be able to afford the rest of the injections.

lmworley416 said...

Whatever the Lord allows to happen in your life, He'll get you through! Praying!
Psalms 91:9-12 Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Prayer Bears
My email address

lmworley416 said...

Continuing to pray!
Psalms 91:14-15 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.