Saturday, March 31, 2012

Tough Night

You might think that once you've had a baby born 3.5 months early, that having complications at 33 weeks would not be stressful.

While obviously not the same, I promise it is still stressful and scary in its own way. We are absolutely grateful to be this much further along, but babies are just not designed to be born before term and while we trust Ally would do ok, we think she deserves her full time to bake because that's what's best for her and what we will keep fighting for.

I'm tired. My vision is continually blurry, my feet are swollen up, I can't take care of my family like I want to, I miss seeing my friends, my contractions never seem to end and I feel generally yucky but I can absolutely put up with all of those things as long as I need to.

But the last two nights my contractions have gotten into a rhythm that my home meds have not been able to break out of as easily. Thursday night was rough but I was able to hold out at home and eventually about 8am the contractions settled. So I went to the doctor first thing where I was able to get my final steroid shot and another progesterone shot.

But yesterday evening things started back up again and after timing them at home and trying to hold out, the on call OB said I had to get myself to L&D. By the time they had me on the monitor the contractions were painful and were anywhere from 2 but mostly 4-5 minutes apart (after being 5-8 for a few hours at home).

We discussed a possible transfer to Houston but my amazing super cerclage ;-) continues to prove its worth and is still holding for now. So they decided if they could get my contractions back apart for an extended period then they would let me go home to rest instead.

My blood pressure was continually low (84/41) while we were there so that didn't really help things but after iv fluids and meds the contractions finally eased up enough where we decided I could deal with it at home and be more comfortable resting in my own bed but know we can go back anytime if needed (hopefully not).

Thankfully my mom was still in town and was able to come right over and stay the night since the boys were already in bed when we left for the hospital. That was a huge relief for us.

So my Due Date is May 18th. I want to get to May 1st, which would be like 37.5 weeks. But we are absolutely grateful for each additional day and know that God is in control of Ally's life and that He loves her dearly too.

I want to avoid the NICU entirely and take her straight home with me but more than anything I just want to give her the healthiest start possible. Please pray she can stay put, but regardless of when she comes, that she would do as well as possible.

I'm tired but more than anything I'm very thankful and I'm not giving up.

Thank you for your prayers!!

Exodus 33:14
The Lord replied "My Presence will go with you and I will give you rest."

5 comments:

Caroline said...

I'm sorry Lindsey. Glad she is still "in there" and holding on too! She's a tough little girl enduring all those contractions too. :) You might have a feisty one on your hands. ...

Adam and Andrew said...

Thanks Caroline, I think you are right about the feistiness!!

George said...

I'm still praying for you two to make it to 38 weeks Lindsey! I know you don't really get any say, but I think it will happen for you! Just stay in bed, hard as it is! Call in every favor, accept every bit of help you can! Maybe we'll both get lucky and deliver the same day in early May. You're doing great!

Lynn said...

Ally, you need to behave yourself. Yes, I know you want to come out and see Mom and Dad and your amazing brothers, but you're not ready yet! you have to learn a little patience, little one! Just hold on a little longer! You'll be much happier if you do!
Know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers!
Psalms 86:5-7 For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.

Lynn said...

Lifting up prayers to the Only One who can answer!
Psalms 4:7-8 Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased. I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.
My email address