Monday, July 29, 2013

This & That

This coming Thursday we will be at Texas Children's with Andrew for outpatient sedated Botox injections. As always, we'd love your prayers for a safe and successful procedure since there will be some anesthesia. He will be getting the shots in the back of his left calf again as well as down the front of his shin since the spasticity has caused his leg to turn inward. Three weeks later we will go back and begin serial casting for 6-8 weeks. I'm sad that he'll start school in a giant leg cast :-( but I'm thankful we were able to be cast free over the summer.

The ultimate goal here is to improve his gait and function and to hopefully push impending orthopedic procedures out into the future as far as possible. My hope is that he will be alleviated from some of the pain and cramps that the spasticity causes and that maybe he will get enough improvement to master riding a inline scooter, which has been very challenging for him and perhaps even learn to ride a bike without training wheels. He wants to do those things really badly but they are extremely difficult for him with his balance and reciprocal movement issues. And running without so much falling would be really wonderful too.

After the casting is done he will be fitted with new leg braces and a night splint and will begin intense physical therapy to maximize the effectiveness of the Botox. Hopefully it will all be worth it in Andrew's eyes, he's getting old enough now that I want him to understand why we have to do this and I'm praying he'll be pleased with the result of all his hard work. But I certainly would love for him not to need any of it. He's such a trooper!

I can't believe my little guys will start 1st grade in less than a month. After lots of discussion with teachers and therapists we've decided to start them in public school this year with their same age peers and not repeat kindergarten. I've wrestled with this a lot, if they weren't December birthdays and were born in 2007 like they should have been it would be a much easier decision to hold them back. They are already in the older half of their grade so it seems like holding them back doesn't make sense at this point in time as they seem to be grasping the material just fine but we are struggling with fine motor and attention issues but not enough that they need to repeat a grade at this point. But we will certainly reevaluate at the end of 1st grade.

When we have been home this summer, we've kept a very full schedule trying to get the most out of our time. Both boys have some degree of fine motor delay so they've been getting occupational therapy twice a week and they attended an art camp, a church day camp and had a few handwriting sessions to help their development along. Andrew has turned into a coloring machine and he's gotten pretty good at coloring pages with markers and I'm hoping that has helped his hand strength.

In addition to helping along our fine motor skills we've been doing a lot of martial arts to help with balance, flexibility and gross motor. When we are in town, they've been doing taekwondo 2 days a week as well as judo 2 days a week. Judo is by far their favorite, it involves a lot of grappling and physical contact which has been a good outlet for them in that regard.

Now for some random pictures:

Summer rain in Texas! So excited to get to use an umbrella one day leaving day camp

Reenacting a picture of themselves that hangs in the pedi's waiting room lol

Ally's favorite snack "Pop Pop"

The Adorable doll cradle she got from Aunt Dana for her birthday. She loves to get in it ;-)

She loves books!

Taking "Dooog" Zoey for a walk

Andrew is one cool dude

9 comments:

Lynn said...

So many decisions to have to make! You're doing such a fantastic job! Always thinking of how you can help your boys. Yes, Andrew will always have to work harder for things but I'm going to say it again, I just know that the Lord's going to turn this around and use it for something amazing in Andrew's life!
Always praying in Seattle!
I Peter 1:3-5 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
My email address

Lynn said...

Praying right now!
1 Peter 1:18-19, 20 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot (21) Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
My email address

Lynn said...

Life can be overwhelming at times, but the victory is ours through Christ! Put your trust in Him! Praying!
1 Corinthians 15:54-57 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
My email address

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Thank you Lynn!

Lynn said...

U betcha!
Lifting up prayers to the Only One who can hear!
Psalms 34:4, 6-7 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. (6-7) This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
My email address

Lynn said...

Continuing to lift up prayers!!
Psalms 34:15, 17-19 The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry...The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
My email address

Lynn said...

Know that you're in my prayers!
Psalms 61:1-4 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.
My email address

Lynn said...

Praying in Seattle as always!
Psalms 32:6-7 For this shall every one that is godly pray unto thee in a time when thou mayest be found: surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come nigh unto him. Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.
My email address

Tiffany said...

This is cool!